Gideon Appah has been working with mixed media and salvaged objects for the past couple of years. His work is greatly influenced by imagery and marks of temporary structures and informal signage of the socio-cultural/economic landscape of Accra’s urban spaces. A regular element in his works is numbers and signage which he derives from the lottery palimpsest boards found on lottery kiosks in suburbs of Ghana. Gideon expresses his ideas onto canvasses by a method of scratching through painted surfaces to reveal these marks whilst making additions of mixed media materials. He calls them Scrawl Paintings.
(All Photos Courtesy Artist)
- 2016 Origins and Lineages, DF Contemporary Gallery, Capetown, South Africa
- 2016 ‘Kindle ‘, Gallery2, Johannesburg, South Africa
- 2016 Johannesburg Art Fair, Kuenyehia Art Prize, Johannesburg, South Africa
- 2016 Turbine Art Fair, Gallery2, Johannesburg, South Africa
- 2015 Da Vinci Gallery, Capetown, South Africa
- 2015 Barclays L’atelier Finalists Show, Absa Gallery, Johannesburg, South Africa
- 2014 Artists in Focus, Nubuke Foundation, Accra, Ghana
- 2012 End of year Show, KNUST Museum, Kumasi, Ghana.
- 2013 ‘Sensation’, Goethe Institute, Accra – Ghana
- Absa Museum. Johannesburg, South Africa.
Education/ Prizes /Awards / Residencies / Interviews / Workshops
- 2016 Live workshop, Barclays L’atelier Residency, Bag Factory Studios, Johannesburg, S.A
- 2016 Barclays L’atelier Residency, Bag Factory Artists Studio, Johannesburg, South Africa
- 2015 Barclays L’atelier Art Competition, Johannesburg, South Africa – Merit Award winner
- 2015 Kuenyehia Art Prize, Accra Ghana – Top Ten Finalists
- 2014 Live workshop, Clay Objects, Past and Present Aesthetics, Nubuke Foundation, Ghana
- 2013 Young Generation Show, TV Africa, Accra, Ghana
- 2013 Be Bold Show, ETV Ghana, Accra, Ghana
*2008 – 2012: Student at College of Art. KNUST. Ghana.